This takes me straight back into my Granny’s kitchen. She loved to makes these…..and we loved to eat it!!! Have not made the Oat Squares for many many years but today me and Allegra had a little playtime spare and this was the perfect bite to bake in the time we had. Slightly crunchy on the outside, sweet and sticky in the inside. Perfection!
Makes: 12-16 (Depending on your square size)
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Time in the Oven: 40-45 Minutes
Oven Temp: 160°C
175g Unsalted Butter
7ml Baking Soda
190g Rolled Oats
140g Plain Flour
210g Castor Sugar
80g Desiccated Coconut
Pinch of Salt
1. Melt the butter over a low heat and add the baking soda and honey. Do not let the mixture boil. Just heat through and remove from heat.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Press the mixture into a 20 x 24 cm baking tin and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
5. Cut into squares, let cool for 15 minutes and then remove from baking tin and let cool completely on a wire rack.
If they do not disappear immediately, store in an airtight container. Will keep well for up to a week.
Kids will love this and it makes a great lunchbox filler.