This is one of those bakes that you make to impress new friends and colleagues! Whenever and wherever I serve this lemony bites, I get at least 5 requests for the recipe. Take my word, you will be flooded with compliments if this bake is on your dessert table.
Serves: 16-20 Squares
Pre-heat oven to 180 °C.
3 Extra Large Eggs
200g Castor Sugar
125ml Sunflower Oil or melted Butter
140g All Purpose Flour
Pinch of Salt
175ml Natural Yogurt
30ml Lemon Juice
40g Desiccated Coconut
60ml Poppy Seeds
Lemon Glaze Ingredients:
30g Butter, room temperature
200g Icing Sugar
Zest of 1 Lemon
30-45ml Lemon Juice
1. Whisk eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the oil (or butter) and whisk until well combined.
3. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, coconut and poppy seeds and mix until combined.
4. Sieve the flour and salt into the wet mix and combine well.
5. Pour the batter into a prepared 24cm x 24cm cake tin/oven tray.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Test after 30 minutes and bake for another 5-10 minutes, if not yet baked through.
7. Let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes before turning out.
10. Let cool completely before icing.
Lemon Glaze Method:
1. Cream butter, icing sugar and lemon zest together. Add enough lemon juice to make the mix fluffy and spreadable.
2. Decorate the sponge with the glaze and cut into squares.